Construction Areas Power Sweeping
Street and construction site sweeping is recognized as a best management practice that offers a host of important health, safety and environmental benefits. Power sweeping also is considered a best management practice under the EPA Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act.
It’s important to have pavement swept regularly, and must be done by the correct type of sweeper, run by an experienced operator and at the correct speed and frequency. Commercial Power Sweeping is very experienced in all phases of municipal and construction sweeping, including millings.
Commercial Power Sweeping clients include; Municipalities, Pre-construction, Post-construction, State DOTs, County DOTs, Homeowner associations, Milling contractors, Airports and more.
Give us a call at 757-238-2575 or use our contact form to reach us online.
The Importance of Frequency Municipal Sweeping
Here are some of the major reasons why maintaining a regular frequency of municipal sweeping, as well as mandating a rigorous level of sweeping on construction sites, is more important than ever before.
- Sweeping was started in the early 1900’s for ‘cosmetic’ reasons. Today, material on the street has a much higher potential for being hazardous than ever before. Health issues from fugitive dust are responsible for over 1 million cases of asthma per year.
- Studies show that air sweepers and broom sweepers can pick up pollutants at a cost of less than $5 and $10 per pound, respectively. In contrast, a study by CalTrans showed that capturing pollutants in the runoff stream averages a whopping $35 per pound — and that didn’t include the cost of the real estate needed for most end-of-the-pipe retrofits.
- PM10-compliant street sweeping is a recognized Best Management Practice for construction and community compliance with NPDES Phase II stormwater run-off program.
- When roadway debris is kept cleaned up, citizens take more pride of ownership in their locale and tend to throw less litter from their vehicles.
- Weekly sweeping and cleaning is proven to maintain particulate compliance and can reduce suspended solids in downstream receiving waters by more than 75% (Source: EPA 832-F-99).
- When sand, grit and other smaller micron debris, especially, is allowed to accumulate on roadways, the road surface becomes more slippery and can contribute to a higher risk of accidents.
- Sand, dirt and other trash are abrasive, and will shorten the length of service time of any seal coating, striping, etc.
- Having a regular sweeping program enhances community pride, perceived quality of life, and also has health and safety implications.
- When debris that is a food source remains un-swept for a long and other potentially disease-carrying or dangerous animals.
About Commercial Power Sweeping
We have backup sweepers available for immediate service in the event of a mechanical issues. At Commercial Power Sweeping you won’t hear excuses about us not being able to sweep when we’re scheduled. Backup sweepers are on-hand for immediate use in the event one of our front-line sweepers goes down. These machines also allow us to have a quick reaction time for accident cleanup, emergency spills, etc.